Breakups can be devastating. The person that you loved (or really liked) isn’t part of your daily routine anymore and all you can think about is how much you miss them. How do you move on? Consider these my breakup rules to checkout of heartbreak hotel ASAP.
- Remember the reason why you broke up. The moments when you are feeling the most lonely is when you will start contemplating getting back together. This is the time where you MUST remember why you’re no longer a couple. Write it down on a post-it and put it on your mirror if you have to.
- Distract yourself. Pick up a hobby, hang out with friends, go to the gym…just do something.
- Try to limit how many times you tell your breakup story. The more you tell it is the more you relive the emotions of it. Tell it to your close circle and then lock it away in a vault.
- Limit contact with your ex. It’s a common misstep that we all do. Something reminds you of them and you convince yourself that one text won’t hurt. It then spirals into a conversation and then a clear reminder of why you’re no longer together.
- Try to limit drowning yourself in alcohol and/or carbs. The alcohol will lead to you breaking rule #4, the good ol’ drunk dial. The carb overload will bring a short-lived sugar bliss that soon turns into binge guilt. Stay away…both end in regret.
- Put those sentimental gifts, letters and photos with your ex away. Looking at those right after a breakup never brings any good.
- Give yourself a break. A lot of people tend to put all the blame on themselves for a relationship ending. The point is not to punish yourself but to heal and move on.
- Last but not least, remember that you will get over this. Love hurts now but it will feel really amazing again when you find that right one.